Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The name of the game?

The name of the game this week has been "hold your tongue" I was reading in my Bible the other day searching for some sort of inspiration as to how best handle the tough situations that you encounter in life that leave you ready to shoot your mouth off- and as I read through the psalms there was a verse that said, paraphrasing, holding your tongue stops wickedness from escaping from your lips.

I encounter situations almost everyday where there are times when I am given the distinct opportunity to practice restraint...some days I amaze myself, others not-so much. The rude check out girl at the only place to shop in our small town, the acquaintance that is whispering condemnations about people you know in tones you can still hear, the family member that thinks its appropriate to say what she thinks even at the expense of your feelings...

I feel a sense of righteous indignation when I come upon these types of situations - how do I profess my Christian values and beliefs when there are times I feel compelled to set the record straight and in doing so, give these people a piece of my mind? I consider myself an honest person and uphold those values in my home with our children; but, there is a fine line between honesty and taking the filter off your mouth and saying whatever comes to mind. Is it right to censor a honest thought, observation or retort if it means that you stop "wickedness" from your lips?

In our studies of being a praying wife/praying husband one of the cornerstones of the study is understanding what power your words have over your spouse; and in our case, this is most assuredly true. As we have grown together as a couple we are much more aware of what words we use when we are expressing any emotion- especially when we're frustrated or upset...it is easy to let honesty come out in wicked ways if you aren't careful.

So, I guess this could apply to all relationships as well. However, how does one deal with the compulsion to fire back at an attack, be it from the rude check out girl, family or friend? It is so much easier to give what you get; but then again, if you aren't the one to stop the vicious cycle of UGLY, who will?

Today is my day to be the one to stop it. Have a great day.

Blessings.

No comments: