Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

1st day of school

I walked the boys into school today and walked out alone...without children for the first time in over 6 years.  I could hardly believe how helplessly sentimental I felt in that moment.  I grocery shopped at Walmart and bought myself a mag to read but instead of relaxing and reveling in the silence I felt captive to that silence.  I sat there wishing for laughter coming from the playroom or a drive by snuggle from a very busy boy.  But, none came.  I suddenly felt the need to find something to do with myself - keep myself busy while the boys were at school.  More volunteer work is my initial idea.

Do you volunteer?  Where and why?  I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) that works with children that are in the child welfare system and advocates for them in the court system.  It is work that gives me so much back in return.  Returns in spades.  Helping a child is so powerful and fulfills me in ways I have yet to be able to explain.  These kids need a voice and I have the honor of helping be that voice - it's pretty great! 

God demands us to care for the least of these - how does that work into what we do outside of work, family, church, etc?  As a parent it has become so very important for my boys to see me do for others so that they may learn how wonderful it can be to GIVE.

Go out and volunteer - the feeling you get in giving is far more powerful than getting.

Blessings.

No comments: