Pages

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Politics aside...

Let's be perfectly honest here, I did not vote for Obama. I would of voted for Hilary, but that's not the point. Early on I was impressed by his words, his demeanor, etc. but it came down to brass tax and I couldn't support someone who talked as if America wasn't the best place in the world to live. I do not like that millions of Americans don't have health care, I certainly don't like government funded means to exacerbate corporate greed, but damn if I will ever want to live anywhere else. I could have worked at the ACLU with how fervently I support an American's right to exercise their civil liberties, even if I don't agree with them, this is AMERICA, people! I can't vote into office a person, regardless of race, creed, or gender that doesn't get tears in their eyes ever time they hear the "Star Spangled Banner."

All of that being said, I do understand how he got elected. He was well spoken, well tempered and well dressed. He was a new voice in a sea of old, crabby, stodgy voices and that was very appealing to a large majority of the voting block. Change and hope, hope and change...how can you argue against hope? Now, the point...being the media darling that he is, I still cannot find any rationale for awarding Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. First things first, the deadline for the nominating process was February 1. So, in about 2 weeks of being President of the United States of America, was he able to "do" what they have so deemed him prize worthy?

"For his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples"

When exactly did this happen? I must have missed it. So, what they're saying is that in 2 weeks he strengthen diplomacy? Extraordinary efforts? I am not down-playing the historic feat this man has made in becoming President, however, there are platitudes and then there is shamelessly kissing his ass. I think we're experiencing the later. I think awarding him at this point takes legitimacy and prestige from this body. Two years from now, maybe a different story, but 2 weeks in...? Shame on them for not being more deliberate and bold. Shame on them for not holding us all to a higher standard than star-struck awe of well coached bureaucrat in a nice suit.

No comments: