Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Mom is coming







We are eagerly anticipating the visit of my Mom/Mimi just a day before my "I am so grown up" child turns 6 and it cannot come soon enough.  It seems that this upcoming arrival has prompted us to go into high gear getting all the things we've put off around the house done so that she can arrive and be totally impressed - ha!  But seriously, it has put a fire under our hiney to take care of things we've been procrastinating on for months, always with a semi-legitimate excuse, but nevertheless these things haven't been done.  So, we will welcome her, Lord willing, with things as they should be...or we will welcome her with things as they are at this very moment. 

I have been thinking of some decor ideas and have come up with very little considering our access to these such things is limited by distances of 90 miles or so, all I have to go with is Walmart...hence the decor dilemma.  We have some pieces around the house and a deluge of photographs that we can frame and hang up, so that is a start.  While I have been doing some decor googling I am learning that the "cross wall" is the thing right now...am not sure how I feel about the cross symbol being a trendy home decor idea but whatever floats your boat, right?  Don't get me wrong, I would love to do something like that, but the idea that its trendy is what bothers me...does that mean that there's somehow less meaning in the display if you put it up because it is the trend of the moment?  Anyway, I digress...so I am thinking a big clock and a few well placed mirrors are in order for our wall space as well as a area rug for our living room and definitely an improved choice of chairs for our table -  but the issue still remains, where do I go buy all of these things without driving to the "city"?  I don't think I am going to be able to avoid the car trip. (sigh)

It still is difficult for me at times to look at our home and feel at home here- sometimes it feels like this is just a place we're living between other places and as much as I do really love my granite counter tops and hardwood floors and backyard playset...it remains that I feel like this is us living in someone else's house until we move again.  Which brings up the latest- we're looking at opportunities outside of McAlester for the next step in our lives.  That doesn't mean that we're leaving nor does it mean that we necessarily want to leave- but the doors of opportunity are open and we're taking a peek to see what's out there...that is our big leap of faith for May 2010- we'll see what happens.  So, while this is home, we intend to make it appear as "just so" as we are able for my Mom's arrival.  We've got a lot of work to do to get there - here's hoping!

Better get moving. Blessings!

No comments: